I have a room
You’ve found a room! What’s next?
The costs of renting a room are limited by law: ‘maximum allowed rent’
69% of the students in Utrecht pay too much. There is a big chance you are part of them. Do you want to know whether you pay to much? Check the points on this site and you’ll know straightaway!
10 golden rules
- Check the rent by the rental committee, there’s a huge chance you will pay less.
- If you pay an inclusive price, have the rental committee split the rent, which will also pay off.
- You are not obliged to sign a new contract on your landlords’ request, only if it is a reasonable offer. A higher fee or service charges are never reasonable!
- In a contract for a limited time, the landlord needs to give a notice to leave one month before the contract expires. If the landlords fails to do this, the contract will automatically be changed to a indefinite contract.
- The notice of leave to the landlord is three months for an indefinite contract, plus one month for every year you live there, up to half a year.
- If your landlord decides to sell the house, you are not obliged to leave. The only thing that changes is your landlord.
- If your landlord cancels the rent, you won’t need to leave until he convinces the court that he is allowed to do so.
- No contract? You still have rental rights! Just have proof of paying rent ready.
- Don’t become main tenant without a water tight contract, you don’t want to be responsible for the rent of your roommates.
- If you pay monthly, you have at least a month of notice to leave regardless of what is told in the contract.
Don’t forget to check some important facts and examples regarding your contract, extra costs and possible subsidy!